Friday, September 21, 2007

iftar w/ Meysoon

I am not fasting for Ramadan. But last night Liana ( the student who is thinking about renting a room from Meysoon) and I had iftar with Meysoon (a graduate student's of Abdelmahdi's, her sister and her children. It was an amazing dinner. I had so many new foods: a juice made from dates that I had never had before, a chicken and rice dish (which I have had before) a wonderful dish of pomagranites in syrup, and a sweet that is only made for Ramadan--a pastry crust with sweet cheese and pistachios inside, fried, with a syrup on top. Then we had fresh organic fruit from Meysoon's farm in Jaresh. We ended the meal with expensive thick Turkish coffee. After we drank the coffee, we turned the cups upside down and let the thick remains flow out. Then Meysoon read our fortunes from the remains of the coffee grounds that were still in the cup. She said that many eyes will be looking in my direction soon (I took that to be many people will watch the documentary I am making about the women refugees); I will be receiving lots of money (maybe a grant I applied for will come through!). She said that God is watching me (but I cannot figure out if he is happy or angry with me!). Also, I will have a content and happy life. Well, I love this kind of stuff, but I don't take it seriously. So then, I offered to read her fortune. I made up all sorts of wild and funny stories about her future, and everyone was laughing so hard at the fortunes I made up about them. We had a good time. I am very impressed with Meysoon and her research about globalization and the effects it has on youth. I have been thinking of adopting an Iraqi orphan, or maybe two siblings, but apparently it is not possible for a westerner, or someone not of the tribe to adopt a child. It is hard for westerners to understand. If there is a person who desperately wants a child, and there is a child who desperately needs a family--it seems to westerners like a perfect match. But, that is not the way it is viewed here, and that is what I have to deal with. I may never be able to have a family again . . . I feel as though I have a lot to offer a child--I have the money, and the time, and the desire to commit to raising a child, and I love little children--they are so funny and adorable, but no one will let me have a child. . . Meysoon said that I could adopt her though (haha).

No comments: